She has her priorities straight. Risk taker on the rooftop, amidst her colors and sky. At first, I wondered if the kites would take her away. But she looks comfortably poised … enjoying her spring dreams on top of her house after a long cold winter inside.
Whew! February was fun and challenging. Today I realize there were so many more I wanted to paint. Having said that, I look forward to the subject matter break. The concentration it takes to capture a gesture, emotion, character expression is quite something. I learned so much in February. Notice the style is a bit softer. Very little black pen work. More subtle line work. And I relaxed into the project. Sometimes I’d forget, it would be 10 p.m. at night. And still, painting wasn’t a chore even then.
Some new developments in February:
- I wrote an article for people who want to take a bit of time daily for something they are thinking about. Upon request I wrote 10 tips to launch…
- The store is really happening. I was able to pay my initial investment in the first 24 hours of opening. I’m not really marketing it. It’s simply there for 2 reasons. People who want the art ‘now’ for their walls and for charitable donations.
- The first donation check went out today to Lucky Rabbits Rescue. I have a sidebar widget now that will report the monthly organizations.
- I’m learning mixed media techniques with Carla Sonheim. I’m learning things I’ve always wanted to learn. Now that I’m painting so much and don’t want to bore myself or you, I’m soaking it up. And she’s adorable.
- The 365 project is now in the Skinny Artist directory. A NYC organization for the arts. Love them.
- I’ve grown more and more in love with art. I find myself reading everything I can get my hands on. Listening to TED Talks from some incredibly imaginative, brave people.
- And, while I can’t paint most requests that come through my mailbox (already so full of images to paint by the beginning of the month), I did paint one this month. Some crazy boots requested by Janine Harris. So happy I did. Really worked in this theme.
- I also dedicated a post to two friends in Portland. They are an inspiration when it comes to love. So 2 dedications. One for Character and one for Love.
- Created a new header image for the site. Check it out: https://niyacreative.com
- Today makes 60 total paintings since Jan 1. 2013. It’s always a surprise to me to see them getting done daily.
Here is the visual summary of paintings in February.
March will be an interesting adventure. I’m not sure how much writing will accompany the flower paintings. I believe there will be more abstractions. More visual and less words on those. But I can imagine some fun stories coming from the fabric subject matter. Kite flying alone…
At any rate, expect tons of pattern, layers, texture, color – color – color. I’m chomping at the bit! Thank you so very much daily subscribers for your continued support, energy, cheerleading, brilliant comments. It’s truly enriched my life.
Onward to Flower power and Prayer flags.