You Get Cake
I gained 2.5 lbs. while painting this. You get buttermilk chocolate cake, I get vicarious poundage. The imagination is a powerful thing. ; )
By the way, I would love a really yummy buttermilk chocolate cake recipe. If you have one, please leave in the comments section. I’ll share in the next cake recipe. I hope to paint more cakes safely in the future.
Shuna Lydon sez ‘make this one to three days ahead’.
Shuna’s Devil’s Food Cake
1 C Sugar
12 Tablespoons Cocoa*
3/4 Cup Cake flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 each Egg
2 each Egg Yolks
1/2 Cup Hot Coffee
1/2 Cup Buttermilk
5 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, cubed
Splash Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F with oven rack in middle of oven.
2. Butter and flour 9″ round cake pan or individual ramekins. If you have parchment paper, cut out a circle and place on bottom of buttered pan. Butter and flour over parchment, if using.
3. In one big bowl: sift cocoa, sugar, cake flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add salt to this; whisk to achieve a uniform mixture, and create a “well” in center.
4. Brew coffee, measure and drop cubed butter in hot liquid, whisk to melt and combine. (Do not let mixture cool too much.)
5. Pour cracked egg and yolks into well, whisk briefly. Pour in coffee-melted butter mixture, whisk briefly, pour in buttermilk and then whisk thoroughly to incorporate all dries. Attempt to eliminate any lumps. Add splash of vanilla extract. 6. Batter will be very loose, pourable.
7. Pour batter into prepared baking vessel(s) and set on a baking pan. (This insures heat will be better distributed than if you just put the cake pan directly on the rack of the oven.) Set first timer for 20 minutes. At the 20 minute mark, turn pan around, and set timer for another 10-15 minutes. (If you choose not to turn pan around it will most probably rise lopsided.) **Cake is done when skewer or sharp knife inserted in middle comes out clean and/or when sides pull away from pan and middle bounces back to the touch.
8. Cool cake pan on cooling rack until room temperature. Turn cake out to cool more or serve.
**I don’t like to say how long a cake will take to bake. It depends on your oven, how long it needs to preheat, how hot your kitchen is, and the weight/material of your cooking vessel(s).
Because Devil’s Food Cake is very chocolatey, but almost as light as Angel Food Cake, it can stand to be served with much richer items like ice cream, ganache or mousse.
Devil’s Food Cake tastes good the day it’s made, but if you can muster the will power, this recipe tastes even better the next day or a few days later, refrigerated. It’s the only cake I know that gets better with cold and age. The crumb is denser after a few days in the icebox, but nonetheless delicious.
Oh this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you… this recipe looks incredible.
Niya, this looks delicious. I sure picked a good time to come over and catch up on your daily paintings.
Oh yes Darrelyn, it’s going to be a super fun and informative month. I can’t wait to learn… thanks for being with us.